Sunday, January 28, 2007

Becca's Honey Butter Popovers

I made these for the first time as a little girl from a cookbook my Grandma gave me entitled " Winnie the Pooh's Cookbook". The original recipe was called "Popovers for Piglet" and once we made these with Mom in the kitchen, our family was hooked. My brother makes variations on these such as Parmesan cheese popovers, cinnamon popovers, and garlic popovers. I've tried various recipes and combined a few together to come up with my own version that I like the best!

1 T. melted butter for greasing cups
3 beaten eggs
1 C. milk
2 T. melted butter
3 T. honey (slightly warmed in microwave so it can be poured into batter)
1 C. all-purpose flour

1. Using 1/2 tsp. butter for each cup, grease the bottoms and sides of six 6-oz. custard cups or cups of a popover pan. (Or, lightly coat cups with cooking spray.) Place the cups on a baking sheet and set aside.

2. In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, 2 T. melted butter, honey (warmed slightly in microwave) until combined. Add flour and beat until smooth.

3. Fill the prepared cups half full with batter. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes turn the oven down to 325 degrees and continue baking for 15 minutes. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN or popovers will fall.

4. When popovers are golden brown, remove from oven and prick each popover to let the steam escape. For crisper popovers, you can return them to the oven for 5 to 10 minutes more. Serve while still warm with butter, jam, or honey.

2 comments:

imageseer said...

I seem to notice a recurring course theme, dessert. Interesting....do you have something against main courses? ;) It's too bad I don't east sugar anymore. I've been cooking with Agave as a substitute and it seems to work well. I look to cook, I may have to send you some of my favorite recipes.

Unknown said...

Check out Becca's Favorite Recipes. That is my blog for all my recipes that aren't baking recipes. =)